There are many tools the university provides to help you with the variety of coursework you will be assigned. Just like the ability to use the several funcions of a graphing calculator is important to Math majors, knowing your way around Microsoft Word is more vital that you may think. DON'T PANIC, you are not expected to be an expert yet; the university classes will teach you what you need to know.
- Scholar: This website has everything you need for your classes. Class materials, syllabus, schedule, grades, and whatever else the professor decides to upload will be there for your benefit. Every student uses it often, so be sure to have it bookmarked.
- Microsoft Office: You can go through Virginia Tech without ever having to purchase the Office Suite, but you will find your time as a Professional Writing much more difficult. Microsoft Word is your friend, and you will undoubtedly be spending a lot of time together.
- Adobe Products: Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, and several others may make an appearance in your time at Virginia Tech. They are expensive, and your professors do not expect you to purchase them. However, some may require you to use the 30-day trial that Adobe provides, so be sure to only activate these programs when your professor tells you.
The university provides several labs to assist you with papers and projects. While you can avoid them, don't, as they are all great tools in helping you succeed.
- Newman Library: Newman Library has everything you would expect of a college library. Computers to write papers, a printing center, and thousands of sources you can use for your papers. If you are having trouble finding sources, do not hesitate to ask the staff. Just tell them what you need, and they will do everything they can to help you.
- Innovation Space: Innovation Space on the first floor of Torgeson Hall is a great area to get coursework done. Every computer is outfitted with the Microsoft and Adobe programs that you may find yourself using in class. Great for getting group work done, it also has video editing software, scanners, and free student rentals for cameras and voice recorders.
- Writing Center: Need somebody to look at your paper before you turn it in? This center has a dedicated team who can help improve the style, clarity, and structure of your paper. From final versions to outlines, you can expect to get valuable feedback on on any writing assignment.